[pct-l] PCT Atlas

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 00:39:35 CST 2008

A couple of  observations on WP guidebooks/data book vs. the atlas. (I
have a copy of the Washington atlas, but as I stopped in Oregon, I
haven't reviewed it extensively. I carried the guidebooks, data book,
yogi book, Halfmile maps, and hikertrash maps (for Oregon).  I like
tah know where I'm goin'!)

-The data book will tell 'water source at mile xxx.x'  The related
guidebook will usually give you further insight into how reliable the
water source is, how long it usually persists.  It looks like the
atlas simply says 'water' or 'seasonal stream'. Also, you may be
thinking 'when I get to mile xxx.x, I will camp there.'  The guidebook
may disabuse you of that notion, by saying something like 'There are
two campsites at xxx.x, but they suck. Go a bit further, and you'll
find something better.'  You can then plan accordingly.

-There are places where alternate routes may be possible, and the
guidebook will tell you about them.   For example, for much of Oregon
it seems that the guidebook says 'The Skyline Trail is recommended
over the formal PCT,  here's how to follow it.'   I don't know if the
atlas addresses those kinds of things.

-The guidebook text and the relevant map is not at all likely to be
proximate to one another.  If you are are walking in the area
described by the text on page 100, the related map for that area is
likely on page 92.  Or maybe page 92 and 95, with some other map in
between.  It's a challenge to review map and related text at the same
time.  And if you are into discarding pages as you proceed up the
trail, you may find that you have tossed page 92, because you've
walked through the area described by the text on that page, only to
find that you still need the map on that page for the text on page
100.  You don't need to hike 2600 miles to have this experience -
you'll find out right away. The atlas is obviously much more concise.

I looked to the guidebooks to help me figure out where I was and where
I was going, and it was frustrating to wade through the extensive
discussions of the rocks, trees and birds in the area in order to find
that info. The thought occurred to me that the most cost-effective
solution to this problem was not the atlas.  Rather,  stick with the
guidebooks/data book, but also carry a lightweight Jeffery P. Schaffer
voodoo doll that one could stick with one's tent stakes (exploiting
the 'dual use' principle) as the mood struck.

So, IMO, pick your poison, guidebooks or atlas, you'll probably get to
where you want to go.  Eventually.