[pct-l] The PCT Atlas

William A. Chavez wctrekker at dslextreme.com
Fri Dec 26 12:59:26 CST 2008

I think the Atlas costs too much $, for me to buy (although I did buy
the first volume).  I think I will be fine with the guide books (even
though the maps are very hard to read) and other sources such as the
Data book, Yogi's books and free maps on the internet.  It seems that
Erik has done fine work and he deserves to be paid for it but there
are enough resources to get me to Canada with out taking a second
mortgage.  I was able to do fine on the JMT with "Star's Guide" and
the Tom Harrison maps(yes I know the PCT is 10X longer).  I may get
"lost" out there from time to time but most of the time it's only for
a few minutes.

I think many people are afraid and need to feel secure and so I guess
three color maps, gps devices cell phones and "SPOT" help ease the
fears.  Occasionally I find myself drifting in that direction.
Mostly my fears are eased by the knowledge base here on this forum
and other affordable publications.  I need more of the "Adventure"
and less comfort. Perhaps some would even pay professional guides to
show them the way?

Bill

Soon to be a part of the class of 2009