[pct-l] Carrying Water

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Dec 25 13:03:01 CST 2008

Bob writes: That's a pretty good idea. Does the extreme clog frequently? How often does it or its filter need replacement.?
Switchback replies: I really do not know.? It depends on the water sources and how many cooties are in them.? REI sells the Extreme filters separately to replace in the bottle.? I guess I would say, the filters last for a long time, but I am careful to use clear running streams if available.? Or I would use Trail Angel cashes.?

Probably, I would put a spare filer in a resupply box or in my bounce box on a long PCT hike.

Remember, that once you use the supply bottles out of streams or ponds, they are contaminated.? Even if later you come across?water cashe with good water, you are putting it in contaminated bottles.? So, always transfer to the filter bottle before drinking or cooking.

I guess you could simply put hot boiling water or some pill in the bottles to make them clean again, but I have never done that.

The other thing is that a lot of hikers just hike the trail using whatever water is available and never get sick.? But as I understand it, it only takes once and you become a believer in filters, pills, etc.? I guess HYOH.