[pct-l] Water Caches, and VVR vs. MTR

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 14:21:33 CST 2008

Steeleye wrote: "Your water capacity will also be guided by your philosophy
about using water caches."
Agreed, with the usual caveat that it's good to not rely on water caches.
   I'm with Steeleye insofar as factoring in known water caches could allow
a person to carry closer to the minimum amount of water needed to survive
and keep walking, versus a larger amount that would provide a higher degree
of health and comfort (i.e., the amount a person might carry if they
expected no cached water).

Note that this (2008) year was relatively easy for water, so take care in
evaluating what you read from us class of '08 thru's when estimating haulage
capacity.  I had the capacity to carry 8 liters, but apart from foolishly
doing so from Campo I think I never carried that much again, and I almost
never used caches.  In a dryer year, however ...

W.R.T. the discussion about VVR:  I'm hoping to do the JMT with my wife some
year, and finally see VVR, I heard nothing but good things about it on the
trail.  I went to MTR (Muir Trail Ranch) this year instead.  Not cheap, as
they haul your bucket in by mule or something like that.  And when I arrived
in mid-June or so, they weren't open yet, so there were minimal amenities.
 And their store is really tiny and way expensive for what they offer (I got
some DEET there at a high price).    But ... the people were very nice, I
spread my stuff out on a shaded picnic table to eat while I repacked, got
water there, and they charged my cell phone in their store.   What you
really pay for is --- if this matters to you --- a very efficient stop.
 It's sort of like where most people go into Warner Springs one way and come
out another --- if you're not a white blaze purist, MTR is a similar
triangle like that, which makes it not far out of your way for a resupply.
  And FWIW there are hot springs in the area, though I didn't take the short
side-trip to look (much less indulge).

Again, everything I heard about VVR was extremely positive, but depending on
your priorities, I quite liked how efficient it was to resupply in MTR.  VVR
will likely cost you as much or more (boat ride plus package delivery charge
plus whatever you spend while you're there) but you'll get more, and it will
definitely be more time off the trail, for better or worse.

Oh, I guess one other thing I liked about MTR is that it's situated about a
day earlier on the (NOBO) trail than VVR, which spread the resupply
distances more evenly. Some people go into the Sierras with the idea of
doing long unresupplied stretches.  My inclination was to minimize how much
food weight I carried on my back, and I found MTR to be better sited as an
intermediate stop between Independence and Reds Meadow/Mammoth Lakes.

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle