[pct-l] Ray Jardine's New Book

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Sun Dec 21 15:39:59 CST 2008

So happy to see this post.   I will pick up the new book too.   I have his
first and second (PCT Handbook and Beyond Backpacking).

It appeared to me that the second book, Beyond Backpacking, was mostly a
genericizing (new word, feel free to use it) of the first book.   I think he
intended to reach a broader audience than PCT enthusiasts with the second.
So, most of the PCT direct references were removed, the PCT schedules, etc.

I would think anyone that thought Ray was abrasive in his early work would
be overstating a bit.   Ray is just "highly opinionated".   This personality
trait is almost a requirement of people who are always re-engineering,
re-thinking, or validating/invalidating current culture or methodology.

I read somewhere a comment about Ray that said something like, "Yes, he is
opinionated.  However, I like an author that is at least controversial
enough to be interesting."   I think that is a very fair evaluation.

As an example one of my favorite Ray lines, and I paraphrase here, is when
offering the idea of forgoing fancy water carriers and instead using plastic
soda bottles.   They are cheap, durable, super light, and easily
replaceable.  Then he lays out this line, " . . . in town you simply buy a
new soda bottle, pour out the poisonous contents, rinse and your ready to
go."    Bust a gut funny - that is Ray.  The best part though is while I
personally like to drink the poison, the idea is STILL a great one.

Chipper yo and happy holidays

Pink Gumby