[pct-l] Is thru hiking safe?

RUTH WESTON ruthweston38 at msn.com
Thu Dec 18 22:20:35 CST 2008

Hi Brittany. Thanks for your question about hiking safety. I applaud what others have said and want to just talk about your family's fears. Yes, other people do use you to project their fears. They can't imagine doing what you are going to do and how amazing it will be. When I did a long section hike, I heard it all: "Aren't you carrying a gun?" and got crazy offers like "Take my dog with you"! I found that the moment I started walking, all that anxiety dissapated and I felt calm, just having to deal with my own fears.  My parents and husband were worried about the hike. I wrote on my pocketmail each day and called at each town. When they heard stories of the people on the trail, trail angels in town, and the sense of comraderie, they felt reassured. You can be truthful, but also paint a picture of the good stuff that goes on and the connections you will make. I saved the stories about bears,snakes, and hypothermia for when I was done hiking. oh wait, I never did tell them about the hypothermia. Get your family involved somehow; maybe helping with your resupply. Buy them the huge 'ol PCTA maps so they can follow along at home. You're going to have a great time and thanks for listening. Ruth