[pct-l] Trekking Pole Tips

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Thu Dec 18 21:53:51 CST 2008

Good evening, Chef,

I agree with Postholer:  One tip change-out around the halfway point should
do it.  South and Central California will probably cause the greatest wear.
By the time you get to N. California the trail is less rocky and more
"duffy", and the tips can last for a very long time.  The exception to that
are the lava beds in C. Oregon where the lava cinder trail surface can be
brutal.

If you have good quality poles with carbide inserts you will probably be
surprised at how long they last.  At first you'll worry about the grip
pattern on that frilly little tip but after several weeks you'll quit
worrying.  I have never seen an actual carbide tip wear out on the trail.
On pavement walking - maybe, but not on a trail.  What happens is rocks and
gravel wear away the sides of the plastic holder above the tip, and
eventually it becomes somewhat hourglass-shaped.  Eventually the holder
will either get skinny enough to break in the bind of a rock crack, or it
looses its grip and the insert falls out.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye