[pct-l] Is thru-hiking alone actually safe?

B J bjuarez6 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 23:20:05 CST 2008

Hello!
I've read through some archives about solo vs. partnered hikes, but I wanted to get some more input concerning the general safety of hiking alone. I am a female, and plan on thru-hiking at 22 years old. I'm not especially experienced, but I have a lot of drive and determination. I certainly don't mind hiking alone; I actually prefer it. Though, within the months of hiking, I'm sure company would be appreciated. Is this really safe though? To be alone for three or four months in the wilderness as a young woman? I say, sure why not! And I go for it. I take hikes alone all the time. But my family is very concerned for me and continue to press the issue of finding a hiking companion. Any thoughts, or advice? Thanks alot!
Brittany