[pct-l] More on all the Data and Maps

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Wed Dec 17 21:14:09 CST 2008

Joe,
I am always very surprised when I run into thru hikers that have no
trail maps but I have seen that too mostly day hiking in Section A. I
always wonder how far they will get. For some it seems to be a budget
issue, others I think expect the trail will clearly marked every step
of the way. This is a big part of why I have published as many free
maps as I have at www.pctmap.net.

As you correctly state the PCT is mostly easy to navigate, but a hiker
needs to have maps and a compass and know how to use them.  I know of
at least a half dozen hikers who have gotten lost for most of a day or
for some several days and I am sure this happens to many others that I
am not aware of. A few have been very experienced others not so
experienced. It only takes a bit of inattention or bad luck or error
in judgment. Good maps help a great deal.

-Halfmile