[pct-l] Granite Gear packs in 08

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 17 20:01:10 CST 2008

Chef wrote: "I apologize for being vague...what I meant to say is that although I had seen numerous thru-hiders using GG packs in '06, that by the end of "this year" I had seen  very few."

I carried a Nimbus Meridian the whole way.  Worked great for the areas through which I had to carry lots of water and food.  I also had the issue with the slipping load lifter and shoulder straps, but don't have any solution other than the diaper pin suggestion.  After 6 weeklong sessions of trail crew during which I abused the pack carrying a grip hoist and snatch blocks to the tune of 70 lbs, and the full PCT, the pack and top thingy are looking a little shabby.  My pack was very comfortable with the weight I carried with full water (7 liters) and food for 5 days (about 12.5 lbs).

I saw a few other hikers with GG packs and all were very happy with their pack.

Handlebar