[pct-l] PCT FAQ - Mosquitos

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Dec 16 11:33:08 CST 2008

I was reading the FAQ and ran across the following quote in the mosquito
section.  "Relying solely on DEET is suicide by voluntary anemia."  I
have no idea what this means.

http://postholer.com/faq.php

Mosquitos and poison oak are similar insofar that everyone has a
different immunity/tolerance.  For example, I am not much bothered by
mosquitoes.  They can bite me and no welts appear.  No itching.  I
notice them as an afterthought most of the time.  While I was
resupplying at Elk Lake a group of girl scouts came out early - a couple
of them really miserable with faces and limbs swollen from mosquito
bites.  Seems there is a range of responses to mosquitos...

When they get thick I put on DEET and that's it.  The noise can get to
me.  I've walked through central Oregon covered with DEET for days on end.

There is no scientific evidence that I know of that says daily use of
DEET has some deleterious effect on the body or mind.

Just a thought...

Jeff...