[pct-l] pct atlas

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Tue Dec 16 08:04:03 CST 2008

I have hiked will all three books at one time or another for at least a
couple hundred miles each.   I would recommend you buy the first volume of
the PCT Atlas.   Carry it along with the others and see which book you find
yourself using most of the time.   You have not heard as much about the PCT
Atlas because they are new.

I find the guide books great for day hiking or hiking for a day or so.   The
narratives give me good information about the area I will be in and what to
expect.  I usually read that book before the actual hike and leave it at
home.   On long distance hikes, I found (and others have echoed this) it
cumbersome to figure out what page I was hiking on.   The maps in the guide
book are okay if you know where you are on that map and are trying to get a
relative direction or perspective.  The maps are really tough to use though
to figure out where you are.   They are not clear enough, the trail line is
vague, and there is no GPS markings if you needed them and most important,
the items referenced in the text are not likely indicated on the maps.  For
example, if it says your next water stop is near XYZ canyon, that canyon
name may not be on the map and no indicators are added to the map to cross
reference the text.   Often it can take a bit of time to figure out which
map on which page the text is referencing to since the maps and the related
text may or may not be on the same page.  I have met many hikers reading
their guidebooks for a half a page and then saying, "yea, I think we passed
that".   It is a great read along narrative, but I find it very inefficient
for navigation and quick information access.   When you may reference a book
a dozen times in a day - it is better if it is fast.  Again, before I take
too many arrows here - the guide book is excellent, but it is very
inefficient for navigation purposes.

The data book really helps pinpoint information and water source information
where the guidebook comes up short.  The data book is the necessary
companion to the guidebook.   Most hikers find they are switching back and
forth between the two to get them "aligned".

The PCT Atlas is the best of both worlds - and so much more.  This book is
about navigation and quick access. The PCT Atlas and a current water report
will give you everything you need.   You can find exactly what you want very
quickly.   All the data points are ALWAYS on the same page as the maps.
The Maps are clear, the trail is clear, and ALL the datapoints (ridgetop,
road, water) are numbered and clearly marked on the maps - no searching for
them.   For GPS users, there is a UTM grid for every map.  There is an
elevation profile with the data points referenced AGAIN along the profile.
Towns are mapped with highlights, but without long descriptions.  Just
information like a map with road names, PO Box, Hiker Hotspots (likely
hangouts), grocery store, motel.

I would suggest again that you take the first PCT Atlas along for a couple
hundred miles.   See which book you find yourself using.

Keep walking,
Pink Gumby - and no, I do not work for Eric the Black!