[pct-l] zero days (nights) on the trail instead of in town?

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Dec 12 09:34:15 CST 2008

Good morning, Patti!

I applaud you for desiring to take the method less traveled, so to speak. Some want to run away into the woods. Some just can't take people anymore and need a break. Most, it seems, simply want a change of scenery but not habit and go into the mountains to hang with new friends and take on a new challenge, hiking 25-35 mpd (forget even reaching Canada) in gorgeous scenery with camaraderie parties along the way. Most of them become disillusioned with the trail, too, since that experience was little different than what they knew prior, and drop out never knowing what they missed.

Case in point:
    Occasionally I teach skill clinics right on the trail to the herd as they pass by a particular area. In '06 I had the opportunity to hike with the herd out of Kennedy Meadows to Chicken Spring Lake in order to teach them, during a high snow year, how to cross swollen creeks and self-arrest techniques. I met and hiked with many of this swarm, great folks, indeed, however, one guy stood out for this reason:
    He said that from the moment he started his hike, those he met encouraged him to hike fast and get the miles in daily. He was a strong fellow and had no problem with that, but the ethic required allowed no time for fun and enjoyment of the wilderness he was flying through. By the time I reached him, the herd had just received their snow-related gear, was encumbered and complaining about all the useless weight of snowshoes and the like, and had slowed down, now climbing up into the Sierras. This suddenly allowed for lunchtime naps and 10-15 mile days.
At one lunch he mused with me that one of his pleasures in life was to climb trees and enjoy the views. Up to then there had been no time for even that.
    I asked him why he was out there; what was his purpose in hiking from Mexico to Canada. He admitted that he had adopted the standards of everyone else from even before the trip started (ultralight, high mileage, no on-trail zeros, multiple trips off trail, frequent resupplies, etc.) and was thinking of quitting and going home. I told him there were other ways to enjoy the journey and he began to realize that he could change his new habits and begin to enjoy the trail more while still maintaining his required pace. He immediately climbed a suitable tree nearby!
    Although he did leave the trail burned out and disillusioned, I heard he had a new outlook on things and was going back to school. I have not talked with him since and do not remember his trail name.

So, like Thoreau, know why you want to live deliberately in the woods and if you're content with what you wish to do and how you wish to accomplish it, even if apart from the ways of the herd, it is your own adventure and plan accordingly.

Mtnned