[pct-l] zero days (nights) on the trail instead of in town?

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Dec 12 00:37:51 CST 2008

For Julian and aspiring class of 2009,

On both of my pct and cdt treks, I rarely left the trail. Nearly all of my
"zero days" were on-trail and I loved them that way.

I was out there to live deliberately the trail life and to stay out of the
towns (it took too much trouble and energy to get to them, anyway!). So it
can be done - if you want to.

I was fortunate in that most of my resupply boxes were personally delivered
to me at highway crossings, campgrounds, ranger stations, and the like on or
near the trail, so I didn't have to hitch to towns, which were a shocking
affair, anyway. I wanted to spend as much time in the wilderness as
possible.

Showers were sponge-baths, relished and invigorating!
Clothes were "washed" as needed in my cook pot with Dr. Bronner's Castille
Soap.
Regarding food: I didn't care about weight-even carried miscellaneous books
to read for fun-so I carried a lot of food to pig-out with on "days off."

I left early on my trips, so there was no one else out there to be social
with, which might have caused me to go into town once in a while.

To me, it seems like a tremendous waste of energy to be going off trail so
often, as many do these days. Plan your trip for how you want to experience
it. That means you've got to know what you want. Unfortunately, for many,
that takes time and a level of self-awareness that goes deep. In our busy
world, there is little time for serious, or even introspective, thought, so
many just count on other's experiences and lessons to guide them, though
often finding, once they hit the trail, that what worked for another doesn't
work for them.

Zeros on trail allowed me, also, to explore other things like that peak over
there, go swimming and lay out in the sun despite the ants and bugs, climb a
tree or two, catch up in my journal while listening to the creek, eat some
more, take the time to try to cook a BIG meal, hike a loop trail in the
area, hang out with some newly-acquired friends, go fishing, re-organize my
pack, dry out wet clothes, tent, bag, etc..

Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail does not always have to be about getting from
A to B, putting the miles in, etc.. Most likely you will not do it again.
This, for many, is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. How do you want to
experience it?

Mtnned