[pct-l] Thru-hike cost: It's not cheap!

kcristler kerouc at verizon.net
Thu Dec 11 15:44:26 CST 2008

    regarding rick's assessment of the cost of his through hike: I deducted
the "i would have spent anyway costs", and came up with a total of about
4700. rick mows 2 acres of grass (why? ). He also spent an incredible amount
of money on motels. If i trim rick's motel bill by one third, and cut his
gardening fees in half, which would be more in line, but still much greater,
than any young, apt. living hiker, then his out of pocket total is about
3800. If I estimate he saved 500 on gas and 200 on cable, then his out of
pocket cost is about 3100. that is about 1 and 3/28 dollar per mile. Not
bad.
                        kerry