[pct-l] Sleeping Bag Ratings

trail-name-here trail-name-here at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 13:46:02 CST 2008

Bags are just too hard to rate precisely because everyone sleeps so
differently. (I've done polling.)

How many people have sleeping partners who freeze while you sweat, or you
kick off covers, and they throw on blankets. And this happens when you're
inside a heated house.

I sleep really warm in the summer but really cold in the winter - go figure.

My story is that I carry a Feathered Friends 30 degree bag in the summer and
use a liner on most trips. So, theoretically, that's a 20 degree set-up.

I do most of my hiking in the Tahoe-Sierra area over 8000 feet and this
set-up has worked well - for me. I'm going to be using this for my hike
starting in early April  - but, that might be the wrong thing for every
other person who sleeps differently.

In the fall and winter, I carry a FF zero degree or, when its actually near
zero, I use a FF -35 degree bag! If it looks bleak by Kennedy Meadows, I may
use the zero-d bag for the next few weeks and then return to the 30-d.

A properly sized bag, chest collar, hood snugged, zipper flap,  etc. are all
variables that make a difference in how well you sleep.

Then, there's the synthetic vs. down argument...

That's my story. Good luck.

Hasta la pasta.