[pct-l] sleeping bag question

patti kulesz peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 12:00:23 CST 2008

The ratings are made at the lowest COMFORT level (for the person testing it, that is) that a bag will go to. I have been told by many that the REI bags don't do that. Not sure how they test their bags, but wouldn't trust them myself. Also depends on many factors such as; how you store the bag, wash it, if it fits you properly, etc. Sleeping bags should ALWAYS be stored in the storage bag NOT the compression sac or stuff sac. If it doesn't come with one or you lose it some how a large laundry bag works fine. If it is down, then wash it in down wash front load washer only. If it is compressed more than when u bought it, means it's time to wash it. The oils fom your body compress the down and therefore, the insulation is not sufficient. If it is synthetic, use tech was and again front load washer. I never use the dryer although the tags usually say you can. I just fluff it and hang it. With the down bags it's actually better to put it in the dryer on fluff,
 atelast for a few minutes to get the feathers fluffed out. Also it is even better if you can hang the bag or lay under a bed rather than put it in the storage bag...keep the fluff up more until u use it.

As for fit...the smaller the bag the better. Your body heat is what is used to heat up the bag. If your a woman and you use a man's bag, unless you are six feet tall, the bag has that much more space to heat up. Womens bag are made not as wide as mens bag, even if you are a man who is very thin you can use these bags too up to 5' 10". But you don't want a bag that is too tight either b/c then there is no space at all to heat up and you're prssing up against the insulation which spreads out from the tighness, therfore giving passage to air and wind. Also the womens bags are made with extra insulation in the torso and foot area as that is where we get colder than men. Sometime this makes them a little heavier by an ounce or two but sooo worth the warmth>

Hope this helps

patti