[pct-l] sleeping bag question

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Dec 11 09:12:34 CST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 10:37 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> From: Tamsin McMahon <tamsinrm at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] sleeping bag question

It was colder most nights before arriving in the Sierras than after.
I was glad to have a 20 degree quilt up until around end of June.
Then I was too hot. I didn't go further than August so I don't know
how cold it gets toward the end. Basically, the temperature seemed to
follow the season and have less to do with proximity to this so-
called "desert" everyone believes comprises the entire Southern
California section. (Hint: it's largely rugged pine- and spruce-
forested mountains at surprisingly high altitudes.)

I bought a GoLite quilt rated to 20 degrees and used it after
Wrightwood. It was less expensive than the Nunatek because it isn't
individually made to order. I really like it.