[pct-l] multi fuel stove

Margarete Hochhut hochhut at web.de
Thu Dec 11 08:57:14 CST 2008

B A,

the whisperlite is an excellent, solid stove. But really heavy. I do not know about  availability of white gas on the PCT. You can use petrol but it is dirty fuel and will blacken you pot at once. Hardly anybody of the thru-hiker uses white gas on the trail. That means, usually you find only big canisters and have to fill your small bottle and you do not need the rest. I would not recommend the whisperlite.

Many carry an alcohol stove. Check www.backpackinglight.com, www.packafeather.com. Those stoves have generally a good reputation. Most of them boil 500ml water in about 6 to 8 min. Keep in mind, if you spoil burning alc or heet it is not extinguishable.
Some carry stoves to be used with gas canisters. There is one made by MSR you definitely can use with any canister. Do not remember the name. Those stoves are heavier but the fuel (canister) you need is less. 500 ml water boiles in about 2 Min. or so. Using a canister means more enironmental impact. For me a small canister 110 g longs about 10 days (500ml water/d).

What you need is a system: Stove, windscreen (can be used as a potstand as well), bottle or canister, fuel
If you count the weight it makes not much different at the end. The alc stove is much lighter than the gas stove, but the fuel, you carry is heavier. I tried both. For me a gas stove is much more convenient. But most of the thru-hikers are alc-stove fans.

Someone even made a studie 4 or 5 years ago. Comparing several stoves. The result was (I make it short): the weight/effeciency relation was the best with the gas stove. But only minimal.

Whatever works for you
Rita