[pct-l] Head Gear

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Dec 9 21:25:56 CST 2008

On Dec 9, 2008, at 4:05 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I hiked about 200 miles of the AT in a straw sombrero.  With the
> brim turned
> down it shed rain like duck and definitely kept the sun at bay. I see
> pictures of hikers using golite umbrellas and such so I thought I
> might try
> my sombrero on the PCT. Any thoughts about it. Too windy maybe?

If you can affix a chin strap, you ought to be able to handle any
amount of wind. The worst wind I experienced was in the Cajon Pass
area, on the Mojave desert floor and near Tehachapi. I had to tie a
bandana around my hat in addition to the chin strap near Tehachapi,
the wind was so strong.

A wide-brimmed hat is great in hot and sunny places.