[pct-l] PCTA Membership and passing it on

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue Dec 9 13:35:02 CST 2008

Buying a single year's base membership (which will mostly cover the admininstration costs of the permit and not much else) just to get the permit and then never giving again is just sponging off of others (perhaps we can rename your trailname SpongeBob :P ).  Your are benefitting from the volunteer time and the money given by those who came before you so that you could enjoy the PCT.  You owe it to pass it on the next person (or yourself 10 years from now when you come back).  Pleading poor is just an excuse.  My experience suggest that people who don't give when they aren't well off, won't give when they've maid a million as they will always find excuses not to give.  You can cut back on your beer/smoking/starbucks habbit or brown bag your lunch at work and easily find some extra money to give.  It all comes down to what your priorities in life are.  And there are ways of giving back other then money such as volunteering for a trail crew for a couple of days.  You owe it to yourself and others to give something if you've gained something from the PCT.  And you'll feel so much better afterwards.

-Sean