[pct-l] Wild Oasis tent

Jo Pegrum Hazelett joph at piedmontbsa.org
Tue Dec 9 11:07:22 CST 2008

Hi Tom!

I took the Wild Oasis on my solo trek of the JMT last year. Of 12 days on
the trail I only used it twice--once to break the wind at Guitar Lake and
once to get out of mosquito-ville at Lake Virginia. That tent requires a
hiking pole to stand it up and I was carrying the gossamer gear poles that
had stood me well until this trip. Both broke (the first near Mt. Whitney
and the second on an icy/snowy Mather Pass). I was lucky it didn't rain and
I had to beg a pole from a fellow hiker at Lake Virginia. The moral of this
story--if you are going to use this kind of tent be sure your hiking poles
are reliable.

Other than that, the tent worked fine--even the 75lb dog fit inside
(mosquitoes bother him too!)

Jo