[pct-l] Snow skills

BIll & Cathy tahoe.cat at verizon.net
Mon Dec 8 18:47:59 CST 2008

Mtnned at aol.com   There ya go  If I'm correct its his Alley     Ground
Pounder
----- Original Message -----
From: "Amanda L Silvestri" <aslive at sbcglobal.net>
To: <pct-l at backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 2:01 PM
Subject: [pct-l] Snow skills

Okay, I have bought the equipment and watched the videos, but am under the
impression that it takes more than that to learn the proper use of an ice
axe to self-arrest and how to properly walk on ice with cramp-ons. I could
just go to a local ski area and try to teach myself but everything I read
seems to imply that there are some fine points that I could miss that way. I
checked the REI WEB Site, but they don't appear to have this training
available, not yet anyway. Does anyone know somewhere where I could go for
training near Los Angeles? I am willing to drive as far as Big Bear.
Otherwise, maybe someone would be willing to share their knowledge on one
Sunday? Hay, I'll buy ya a cup of hot coco when we're done! Okay, a hot
toddy then. :)

Amanda (Shepherd)