[pct-l] Backpacks--Six Moons Essence v ULA Conduit

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon Dec 8 16:07:54 CST 2008

Herb,

I have the ULA Conduit and its a great pack.  Since spring 2007, it is my main pack for going out for up to 6 days.  It will easily carry the load you are talking about as I normally carry 10-13 lb. base loads in mine.  However, depending on the pad you use and how you fill up the main compartment, the comfort level goes down after the mid 20's total weight.  I certainly wouldn't carry mine for a PCT thru hike (at least not until after the High Sierra).

The issue is the bear cannister.  Brian hasn't recommend the conduit for carrying hard shell bear cans in the past due to how they fit inside.  The can will fit vertically in the conduit but it may not ride comfortably.  Ursacks worked well, but they are no longer allowed in the Sierra.  My experience in carrying a Garcia Can this past summer ended painfully (for my shoulders) after a 4 day trip.  The garcia cans odd shape is larger in the middle diameter then other cans which probably makes things worse, but what I noticed was the can caused the backpad to distort (ie bow in the backpad which means the shoulder attachments are farther from my back then they normally would be, perhaps a larger size would have helped) which after a few hours didn't feel so comfortable.  Now I was using a gossemer torso pad combined with their sit pad (in a silnylon sack to make it slide in easier) as the backpad support.  The Conduit's has been updated in both 2008 and 2009, including the whole shoulder straps part, so I don't know if the experience would be the same with the new packs.  The smaller BearValut 450 wouldn't be a problem and I know some people have claimed to be fine carrying the larger BearVault model, but I can't claim from personal experience how comfortable it would be with that can.  You could just strap it on top of the pack I guess though you'd need to add another strap, but that would be top heavy.

No experience with the essence pack but you should try emailing SixMoons.  I've found Ron responsive to emails in the past about their produtcs.

-Sean

I have a ULA Catalyst and its a fantastic pack. What I am looking for is an
even lighter pack. The Essence and Conduit are roughly comporable in size
and weight. I know ULA is a great company, and I hear good things about Six
Moons.

Anyone have experience with either pack? I expect a base weight in the
10-12 pound range and will occassionaly need to carry a bear canister.
Thanks!

Herb