[pct-l] Guns & Aliens on the Trail

Bob Sartini r.sartini at rcn.com
Mon Dec 8 11:59:16 CST 2008

No gun = more food !

"EVERYTHING is in walking distance,"
    ......Bamboo Bob
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert W. Freed" <robert at engravingpros.com>
To: <pct-l at backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 11:41 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Guns & Aliens on the Trail

As you may have guessed I am pro gun. I hunt, teach, run
gun events including Women on Target, Sporting Clays and
various tactical rifle and pistol events. I shoot a lot every week.
But I also never carry a gun on my PCT hikes. I have never
had a need. I live and train in San Diego so I have encountered
Illegals Aliens many, many times. Most times they run of
through the bush in every direction scattering like a covey of
quail. Hoping I am not Boarder Patrol. I have encountered
them by surprise, found them dead from exposure and walked
lightly through sleeping masses of them. But never have I had
a problem with them. I have seen sign of them all the way
to Mount Laguna, but I have never seen one that far north.
Running into a Illegal after Kitchen Creek Road is unlikely
If you are concerned about Illegals, just team up with
some one for the first two days (40 miles) and you will not
have to worry about it after that. Most times these are just
good people looking for a better way of life. Robert