[pct-l] Bird of the PCT

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Dec 5 18:01:41 CST 2008

Anna's and Rufus hummingbirds -- lots of these in the desert chapparral.
Varietys of quail and doves, and red-winged black birds.  A wide variety of
birds of prey -- red tail hawks, coopers hawks, kestrels, and goshawks.
Golden eagle on the Bighorn Plateau, and a bald eagle at Benson Lake, both
special treats.  Lots of sparrows, my favorite the chipping sparrow for its
song.  Also juncos and western bluebirds.  Scrub and crested jays.
Starlings (espeically at the South Fork bridge on the Kern River!), and
meadowlarks.  There is (or was) a resident wild turkey at Barrel Springs.
And a very noisy bullfrog!

L-Rod