[pct-l] PCT training

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Thu Dec 4 15:03:11 CST 2008

If you are running 40+ miles/week, my sense is that you are worrying too
much.  Just go about your routine.  When the time comes to hike, just put on
your pack and go.  Chances are good that you will have no problems with your
fitness that are worth mentioning.  Getting the right gear is another story.
The lighter you go, the easier on the body.

At least this is my experience. I was a runner once upon a time -- spent my
20's and early 30's running intense 80-100 mile weeks with lots of interval
training.  I scaled back as the years and miles took their toll and
basically traded running for walking in my 50's. But I've never been very
regular about it -- probably average only 1 or 2 walks per week and spend
most of my time at a desk.  So I don't work very hard to keep fit.  I never
backpacked until I decided to hike the PCT 4 years ago when 61.  I've since
section hiked the 1726 miles from Mexico to Ashland.  I generally go out for
a week, and I do fairly big miles (22-28 miles per day, depending on
terrain).  My approach is to go about my normal (mostly sedentary) life and
go for a long hike when I can get away.  I never have any problems (other
than getting tired).

I have thought about why I don't have any leg or foot problems.  The reasons
may apply to you.  First, the key to avoiding injury is to be very symmetric
in your stride.  If you are running this much without injury, you are
probably much more symmetric than most.  Second, susceptibility to blisters
and other skin problems seems to be genetic.  You already know if you fall
into the lucky or unlucky category on this.

So you are probably fine right now to go really hard for a week or so
without problems. If you want to go out for weeks or months, I don't think
you need any special training --  just do a lot less than you could at the
beginning to let your body adapt.

Bottom line -- this old guy sees many challenges in hiking for a week or
more, but I just don't see fitness to be one of them for someone as active
as you (or for a lot of less active people either).

Tom Bache
San Diego