[pct-l] Solo vs. Partnered Hiking

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 4 11:13:50 CST 2008

Sean Carey  wrote:

"I might find that when I get there I want some company sometimes. I
might also find I want to solo hike a lot of it. I don't really know
yet. I guess I am really curious though about the possibilities of both.
I am wondering what people have experienced and what they think about
both? Also the possibilities or maybe if people just will run into
others along the way and just hike for a bit and then break off?"

Well, Sean, you can have your cake and eat it too.  Join a group, hike a
ways, break off and hike solo, join another group, repeat as desired.
It's called "Hike your own hike (HYOH)".

I've done both the AT and PCT and in both cases I arrived at the
trailhead without having arranged for a hiking partner.  Unless your
start time is either very early or very late in the window, you'll find
that you run into compatible partners along the way.  Within the bubble
of thru-hikers which spreads out as it moves north from Campo there
quickly develops a thru-hiker community.  By and large, the community
supports the HYOH ethic.  Several groups of hikers that  I call
'cohorts', with like hiking speeds and zero days, seem to ooze up the
trail.  You can move from one to another as desired taking solo time in
between.

Even though I left the trail twice for a total of 21 full days, I
managed to join other thru-hikers when company was important (through
parts of the Sierra) or enjoyable (in Oregon and Washington,
particularly for the last miles).

Handlebar