[pct-l] FAQ

Postholer public at postholer.com
Wed Dec 3 17:47:12 CST 2008

FAQ's for various email lists have been around for quite some time. Jim and
I had brief email discussion on this topic and of course we had different
ideas! :) It seems like everyone has a different opinion on this, so I'll
add mine to the mix.

In the traditional sense of a FAQ format, here's an example of what it might
look like:

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Pacific Crest Trail
   1 Planning
      1.1 Documentation
         1.1.1 Hiking Permit
         1.1.2 Canada Entry Form
         1.1.3 Fire Permits
         1.1.4 Maps & Guides
         1.1.5 Bear Canister Requirements
      1.2 Resupply
         1.2.1 Bounce Box
         1.2.2 Mailing by US Postal Service (USPS)
         1.2.3 Popular Mail Drop Locations
   2 On The Trail
      2.1 Considerations
         2.1.1 Lightweight Philosopy
         2.1.2 Leave No Trace
         2.1.3 Trail Town Etiquette
      2.2 Gear
         2.2.1 Packs
         2.2.2 Tents

... etc, etc, etc.

After the table of contents was created and organized, it could be submitted
to the community for comments. Once it was agreed upon, folks could be
'recruited' to write the individual sections. This would decrease the
workload on one person, yet improve the qaulity. One person (ideally Brick)
would be responsible for final content. The content could be anything,
links, implicit information, whatever.

My -0.02 sense

-postholer