[pct-l] FAQ

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Dec 3 15:55:46 CST 2008

Yes, I agree.  I like the KISS principle, and think only sites where the
most essential beginner information could be found.  The point here is not
to be the be-all and end-all of reference locations, but to provide a place
for people seeking basic information to start, such as the PCTA website,
journal sites, guidebooks, and maps (interactive and otherwise).  These are
the kinds of questions that ALL  have the same answer (that long-time list
members get asked ad nauseam!) so why not provide a service to those who are
seeking that information in the first place up front.  What a nice welcome
gift!

As far as gear reference sites, I'd rather see a listing of
backpackgeartest.org, where all gear is rated by users, rather than
individual commercial sites. That just opens up a can of worms. Some might
argue that the guidebook and map sites are commercial . . . but that's what
we've got in this lifetime, so oh, well. Most people need these.

I think the headline sites, like the PCTA, journal sites, and government
site main pages don't change as much as their individual content pages may.
This is probably what is going stale -- not the main addresses.  And, if we
get word that something is outdated, it doesn't seem like rocket science to
get it corrected.

L-Rod