[pct-l] FAQ's

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 22:12:57 CST 2008

I have several concerns with a FAQ section; First, as others have noted, information is frequently out of date soon after it is published.  In small towns along the PCT, things often change frequently.  I am uncertain this link would be maintained frequently enough.  Second, many of the areas that were suggested for inclusion vary with personal preference.  Expressing these varying opinions are what list serves such as PCT-L are intended to do.  Third, often the best advise comes from the recent crop of thru-hikers that have just come offf the trail.

A good example is the use of ice axes and crampons.  During the year that I was preparing for my hike in 2006, I recall the advise changing significantly.  Prior to 2005, very few people chose to carry this equipment, however, following the 2005 and 2006 hiking seasons, it is now very common to consider this gear based on what I read in the journals and on the lists.

Many folks have suggested that these common topics come up year after year.  There is good reason.  Sure, I could look at the archives and get the answer that might have been current 5 years ago or 2 years ago but there may be updated information that only those that have hiked recently would know.  Additionally, I think it gives the recent thrus a chance to give back a bit immediately following their hikes.

As Switchback has shared with me more than once, if you don't like a post, delete it before reading it.

Elevator

From: David Craft <chsyhkr at gmail.com>