[pct-l] Tents and Snow

david booth david.booth at internode.on.net
Tue Dec 2 19:15:38 CST 2008

Hannah
I carry a "snow peg (stake)" which I can use in soft desert sand (and
it has a second use as a potty trowel).
This enables me to pitch my GG SpinnTwinn Tarp in sand and snow.
You can also use rocks on the tie outs or bury a stick in the snow to
hold the tie out.
Ultra-ultra lighters use no stakes and make do with what is available
at the site.
There's no need for a free standing tent unless you really, really
like one and want to waste some money and carry more weight.
Aussie Dave
Canberra Australia
(sometimes seen in a free standing Big Agnes SL2 on "luxury" trips)