[pct-l] Tents and Snow

Hannah Brewster hwb7285 at mac.com
Tue Dec 2 16:32:22 CST 2008

Hello,

I am planing on hiking in 2009 and leaving mid-April, a week or so
before the Kick-off.  I have been trying to decide what style of tent
to buy, free standing vs. not.  Since I will likely be entering the
Sierras while there is still a decent amount of snow, there is a high
likely hood that I will be camping on snow which could make setting up
a tarp tent more difficult and probably necessitate snow anchors.  For
these times having a free standing tent would be much more convenient
but I don't know if it is worth the extra weight.  I don't really have
the funds to buy two tents and switch off so I will likely carry the
same tent for the whole trail.  Any insights or advice on the matter
would be greatly appreciated.  I am not hyper concerned with going
ultralite but I would rather carry and extra pound and a half of
something else if I could.  Thanks in advance.

Hannah