[pct-l] "PCT info links" and "FAQ"

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 16:22:15 CST 2008

Re. "PCT info links, Radar asked:
> I wonder if Brick could put these up on the backcountry.net site somewhere?

The trouble or problem with links is that they can go 'bad'...  I had to update approx. 1/4 of those links, which were all 'good' as of April '08...  The government agencies (NPS especially) seem to enjoy playing a game in constantly changing URLs - so you wind up getting the good ol' 404 Error page much too often...

Another great link I should have included (but didn't have it saved on my copy/paste "link" document):
<http://www.emeraldlake.com/pctguide/>, "Best on the Crest"...  Focusing on the town stops when you'll be thinking of food, where to stay, food, laundry, food, post office, food, etc., more FOOD...

I should have also included some of the bear canister companies - but you can get those links from SIBBG's approved container list at <http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm>...

Re. "FAQ" (1):
Similarly, information can also change rapidly...  Rules and regulations change...  New equipment or new models come out; older models disappear...  What used to be very popular falls out of favor for something else, usually much lighter (e.g., Marmot Driclime windshirt - it 'gained' weight with later models, became too heavy for many; now the much lighter windshirts, at 3 to 4 ounces, are more popular)...  Gear choice is too personal to include 'all gear' in a FAQ type page - there's too many choices out there...
For basic trail info that doesn't change so rapidly, the PCTA website is still the best place to start...

The pct-l is for sharing anything regarding the PCT - knowledge, info, opinion...  All 'newbies' and their inquiries should be welcomed by all members...  The 'newbies' will become 'old timers' after a while, and the list will move on and survive for future 'newbies' years on down the trail...

If you are getting too much email for your tastes, then DISABLE mail delivery; go to <http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l>, scroll down to the bottom and click on "Unsubscribe or edit options", log in on the next page, scroll down on the subsequent page to "Your Pct-l Subscription Options" and "Mail delivery" is the first option...  You are STILL a member of the list and can post after you disable mail delivery...  You 'see' the list by going to the archives at <http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/>...  For December, 2008, click on "Date" and scroll down to the bottom for the most recent postings...  Bookmark it for quicker access next time...  No more clogged inbox on your email program...

Re. "FAQ" (2):
> The best FAQ that I have found out there is located at www.google.com.

I suggest using <http://www.goodsearch.com/> instead of Google...
Type in "pacific crest trail" under "Who do you Goodsearch for?", hit 'enter', then select "Pacific Crest Trail Association (Sacramento, CA)", then enter your search term(s)...  Search and give a little to the PCTA at the same time - and Goodsearch returns almost as many 'hits' as Google, and many times more relevant 'hits' than Google, too...

Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA