[pct-l] Do I NEED a canister

Scott thehairlesscat at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:38:57 CST 2008

I believe you're question was not "should I take" but "do I need to take" a
Bear Cannister.  The Yosemite website says,

You are required by federal regulations to store all your "food" properly
throughout Yosemite National Park. You must have your food stored unless
it's within arm's reach (so, don't go for a swim or take a nap while leaving
food out).  "Food" includes all food and drinks, regardless of packaging,
along with trash, toiletries, and other scented items. These items *must* be
stored in either an approved bear-resistant food
canister<http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm>or
food locker. Hanging food is illegal throughout Yosemite.

This is for all Backpackers according to the site and a Ranger told me they
don't view thru-hikers any differently when it comes to Bear Cans.  So looks
like yes, you do NEED one.  I know this is a very emotional subject and
that's probably why the response has been so vehement.  I am a big
Philosophy buff so I look at words as exact and try to read all questions
without an emotional reaction.  Not that I'm really good at that, but in
this case I think you were asking for a technical clarification.

All this being said, yep, like speeding a person may get away with it but as
you pointed out you were taking a cannister so shouldn't be a problem for
you either way.  Hope this helps.

--
-Scott
-Trailcat if this message is hiker related.

Disclaimer: Trailcat should be taken to imply no actual cat-like ability
including but not limited to the ability to land upright or show any kind of
grace in motion whatsoever.  Scott should be taken to be my name and no
ability to play the bagpipes should be inferred.