[pct-l] PCT Thru-Hiker Missing in Glacier Peak Wilderness-NEED HELP NOW

Sam Willson smgwillson at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 19:11:47 CDT 2008

--0-1553976863-1220141507=:64493

I have talk to the Darrington Ranger district 2 times now.=A0 The Search an=
d rescue is being overwhelmed by calls.=A0 They have already conducted a nu=
mber of recent search and rescues this week, and have very little personel,=
 she asks us not to call unless we have new information.=0AThere is a full =
fledged Search and Rescue under way( "We are all over this"), Helocopters a=
re standing by and waiting for enough visibility.=A0 A description has been=
 sent to=A0a person on Miners Ridge to sit lookout on the PCT on that side.=
=A0 A second person is on the original PCT at Milk creek - so that both PCT=
 branches are being watched for lucky.=0AThe N. F Sauk road is closed at Be=
dal=A0, this closure is 7.3 miles from the N. Fo Sauk creek trrailhead that=
 Lucky would have descended if he went that way.=A0 I have been down this t=
rail many times, and it goes DOWN=A0 for 8 miles, levels out for 2.=A0 I fi=
nd it difficult to believe that a thruhiker with a data book would not real=
ize that he is not on the PCT. Even if he did go tht way , it is 17 miles t=
o the Mountain Loop Highway and he would have been somewhere by now.=0ATher=
e are SAR crews that have already started from multiple trailheads and mult=
iple directions. They are doing everything they can and fully realize that =
this is not a false alarm.=0AI can see that there is blue sky over the Sauk=
 River and over Darrington, and the sky is clearing to the west.=A0 There a=
re still clouds at about 5,000 feet over the mountains to the east.=A0 WE a=
ll hope for a clearing before nightfall.=0AThe best you could do is get =A0=
new information from any thruhikers arriving there in Stehekin.=0AMy prayer=
s are with you all, and of course, Lucky.=A0 =0A=0A=0A=0A
--0-1553976863-1220141507=:64493

<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>There is a full fledged Search and Rescue under way( "We are all over this"), Helocopters are standing by and waiting for enough visibility.&nbsp; A description has been sent to&nbsp;a person on Miners Ridge to sit lookout on the PCT on that side.&nbsp; A second person is on the original PCT at Milk creek - so that both PCT branches are being watched for lucky.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>The N. F Sauk road is closed at Bedal&nbsp;, this closure is 7.3 miles from the N. Fo Sauk creek trrailhead that Lucky would have descended if he went that way.&nbsp; I have been down this trail many times, and it goes DOWN&nbsp; for 8 miles, levels out for 2.&nbsp; I find it difficult to believe that a thruhiker with a data book would not realize that he is not on the PCT. Even if he did go tht way , it is 17 miles to the Mountain Loop Highway and he would have been somewhere by now.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>There are SAR crews that have already started from multiple trailheads and multiple directions. They are doing everything they can and fully realize that this is not a false alarm.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I can see that there is blue sky over the Sauk River and over Darrington, and the sky is clearing to the west.&nbsp; There are still clouds at about 5,000 feet over the mountains to the east.&nbsp; WE all hope for a clearing before nightfall.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>The best you could do is get &nbsp;new information from any thruhikers arriving there in Stehekin.</P>
<P>My prayers are with you all, and of course, Lucky.&nbsp; </P>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, helvetica, sans-serif">&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></div><br>

--0-1553976863-1220141507=:64493--