[pct-l] Why must there be a ''Right Way & Wrong Way" to hike the PCT?

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Aug 25 07:55:03 CDT 2008

It's a shame, a crying shame, the list loosing Joe, who has so much to offer, because 2-3
individuals just have to keep on criticizing.
Scott is the silent one and will suffer in silence.
Joe the outspoken one has had his say but is thoroughly disgusted with the unending criticism
from those 2-3 individuals.
Although the vast silent majority supports them, Joe did not expect and was somewhat shocked by
the intense criticism by those few individuals and responded heated and in anger.
But can you blame him?....After what they have accomplished, they did not expect nor deserve
such harsh criticism....besides, as already mentioned, show me one who has never violated not
even one back country rule or regulation.

I know just how he feels....I got a similar rude awakening after my JMT record and was slammed
mercy less by a few individuals who felt 40 miles a day was insane and that I could not have
possibly enjoyed mike hike.
Well, they are wrong...I enjoyed all 9 of my JMT hikes, the slow ones and the high speed ones.
There is something to be said about setting extremely high goals and then pushing your body to
the extreme to achieve those goals.
I know, it is not for everyone and some people do not understand it.

Did anybody ever wonder why Scott, Bryan and Andy no longer post on the list?
It does not take a Rocket Scientist to figure this one out.
Andy got slammed after his Sea to Sea, Scott got slammed mercilessly after his 2007 PCT YO-YO,
Brian got slammed after his Barkley and Joe got slammed after his 2007 PCT record and again
this year....and now Joe is gone also...tremendous waste of talent.
Seems like overwhelming evidence that some folks just don't like speed hikers and look for any
issue or reason to criticize them.

Brian once told me....''Reinhold, some folks don't understand us, they just don't understand
the crazy things we do....but we  CRAZY ONES  we understand each other."

I like the way Radar once put it....''WHY MUST THERE BE A RIGHT WAY & A WRONG WAY TO HIKE
THE PCT?''

Yes, I ask you why?

With this my friends, I now will also say good by.
It has been nice knowing all of you and hope to see you all on the trail someday.
Who knows, I may come back to say hi every once in a while, but for now I must say good by
for at least a little while.

JMT Reinhold
Your hopelessly in love with the JMT trail companion

Joe writes:
Postholer, This is why I want to be rid of this. No matter what I say it gets twisted by those
of you who find a need to be little me or my endeavor.
I do feel this list is not what it is intended to be, and I can not seem to rid it from my
personal e-mail.
I do not need the negative, the slander nor do I desire to continue on with worthless discussion.
Please do not confuse wanting to move on, with a temper tantrum...thank you once again.
Joe Kisner.
 Ps.. with respect, see you at kick off!