[pct-l] Bag for PCT

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 21:08:15 CDT 2008

I used a 20 deg. Marmot Helium the whole way and it was too warm much of the way. I was cold one night near Paradise Cafe, sleeping without a tent and woke to find my bag covered with ice from a heavy dew or light drizzle. I had silk long underwear to help keep the bag clean but often couldn't wear them because it was too warm (I sleep cold normally, but I think a thru hike raises your metabolism enough so that you sleep warmer). I had the women's model, which only had a half zipper to save weight, however I couldn't open it enough to cool off, a full zipper is better. If I did the hike again (and I hope to), I plan on using a 25 or 30 degree bag, with a liner for colder weather, or sleep with more clothes on if needed.

Sugar Daddy