[pct-l] New snow Wa cascades

Joanne Lennox goforth at cio.net
Fri Aug 22 13:28:40 CDT 2008

The Black Buttes near Mt Baker are covered in new snow- not a little , or a sprinkling, but a lot, like a foot or more.  This new snow seems to go down to about 7,000 feet.  NOTE; THIS IS AT THE WESTERN SIDE OF THE CASCADES, AND USUALLY GETS MORE SNOW. The peaks to the east are still covered in cloud so I can't see the situation there, but the situation here has the feeling of fall rains and even though there is supposed to be some clearing tommorrow, rain and cool is back in the forecast subsequently.

The reason I am mentioning this is not because of the possibility of more rain or snow, but the danger that the remaining snow pack over the trail will become very hard, icy and dangerous.  Even though there may be footprints going accross snow patches from earier travelers on the PCT that does not make it safe for subsequent travelers when it is colder and  with a skim of new snow.