[pct-l] prospective '09 thru-hiker... 32 degree bag enough?

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Aug 22 10:45:35 CDT 2008

It depends on the system you're using.  If you're using a tarp then you
can be colder than as double wall tent you can batten down so no wind
comes through - arguable from the tarp people I'm sure - but I've never
been as warm or secure in a tarp.  If you are using a butt pad as a
sleeping pad, you're likely to sleep a little colder than a 3/4 or
full-length pad.  If you're carrying extra clothes during the cold parts
of the trip - the 15 days in the high sierra - you're likely to get away
with your 32 degree bag.  Weigh how much at this point you "think" you
will be depending on gear or experience to get you through dicey
situations.  All of this should go into a choice.  And don't forget the
bear canister... :-)

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD