[pct-l] (no subject)

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 00:11:02 CDT 2008

I think there is a mix of apples and oranges going on here.  The ruckus was many sided, but was about Scott and Joe going into an ACTIVE fire area.  The Butler fire was last year, and this is a section where I walked the road and wished I hadn't.  All the people who walked through the closed area said the trail was in good shape.  A camp supervisor in the area told me that it was closed to keep out motor vehicles!  In the meantime I (and about half the thru hikers) followed directions and walked the road, which was being used as a motorcycle race course.

I still question the wisdom of Scott and Joe walking through an active fire area.