[pct-l] SPOT

RJ Lewis karmagurl at bektel.com
Mon Aug 11 18:49:17 CDT 2008

If they upgraded the chip to the SIRF chip that they use in the better
GPS units, it may be a much more useful tool, vs a "toy" as many feel it
is now, myself included- a very heavy (8oz) and expensive (with all
those subscriptions), toy at that. If you get stranded, or injured in
the trees or in a canyon, yer screwed with a SPOT, plain and simple. I
think it offers a false sense of security to many average hikers, and
that's  not necessarily a good thing. Just my 2 cents.