[pct-l] SPOT Redux

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 09:38:42 CDT 2008

People who use it as a toy *seem* to like it (esp. on the Western trails). However, if you pay $$$ for something, you tend to spin it in a good light. :)

To me, it seems just that: A toy. Something to play with.

Not a serious emergency tool. Too unreliable.

Which is funny, because marketing spins it as an emergency tool and not a toy.

So, glad people like it and enjoy it. I just wouldn't buy it to use as an emergency tool. Put it in the same category as a cell phone: Possibly good to have in an emergency; but don't count on it as working necessarily.

Just read the following and decide for yourselves:
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/01/spot_satellite_messenger_perso.php
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/spot_satellite_personal_tracker.html

(Hey..I read AdBusters from time to time and tend to take a jaundiced view towards marketing hype. I promise I won't post anymore about this product. :D)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com