[pct-l] The Crazy Ones

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Aug 8 23:56:42 CDT 2008

True Paul....so true.
The agony and the pain will soon be forgotten.....
But the memories...Aahhh...the memories...they will last a life time.

And yes, those who have never felt the pain, don't know what we are talking about.
They just don't understand us.

Brian said it best when he once told me....''Reinhold some folks don't understand us, they just
don't understand the crazy things we do....but we  ''CRAZY ONES''  we understand each other.''

JMT Reinhold
One of the crazy ones

>/
/>/ Truly well said.
/>/
/>/ I remember feeling this "high" when I was racing bikes.  There was a point
/>/ where "pain and exhaustion" became "exhilararion and excitement."  There is
/>/ no way you can describe this feeling to someone who hasn't achieved it.  I
/>/ remember the day I lost "it", because I went under the fitness
/>/ threshold.  I'm jealous of Silent Scott and Tatoo Joe.  They are having a
/>/ "Lance Armstrong 8th Tour de France victory" moment.  They are at one with
/>/ their bodies.  They are having the time of their lives.  Not because they
/>/ are setting the record; but the feeling that when they ask something of
/>/ their bodies, the bodies deliver.  People analyze others from their
/>/ experiences, and very few of us have had the experience of asking our bodies
/>/ to go 35-50 miles a day for 71 days.  They just can't believe it is
/>/ exhilararing for some.
/>/
/>/ Capt Bivy, the "has-been"
/>/ Better to be a has-been than a never-was.
//
/>-------------------------------------------

//>/ Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:20:29 -0700
/>/ From: Reinhold Metzger <reinholdmetzger at cox.net <http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l>>
/>/ Subject: [pct-l] Setting the record straight
/>/
/>/ Some folks may not understand this, but there is great satisfaction in
/>/ setting extremely high goals and
/>/ then pushing your body to the extreme to achieve those goals.
/>/
/>/
/>/ Remember, this is their hike not your hike so please do not criticize
/>/ their hike because it differs
/>/ from the way you hike and I promise you they will never criticize your
/>/ hike no matter how much
/>/ your hike differs from their hike.
/>/
/>/ JMT Reinhold