[pct-l] Setting the record straight

Freiman, Paul pfreiman at ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 7 20:10:00 CDT 2008

Truly well said.

I remember feeling this "high" when I was racing bikes.  There was a point where "pain and exhaustion" became "exhilararion and excitement."  There is no way you can describe this feeling to someone who hasn't achieved it.  I remember the day I lost "it", because I went under the fitness threshold.  I'm jealous of Silent Scott and Tatoo Joe.  They are having a "Lance Armstrong 8th Tour de France victory" moment.  They are at one with their bodies.  They are having the time of their lives.  Not because they are setting the record; but the feeling that when they ask something of their bodies, the bodies deliver.  People analyze others from their experiences, and very few of us have had the experience of asking our bodies to go 35-50 miles a day for 71 days.  They just can't believe it is exhilararing for some.

Capt Bivy, the "has-been"
Better to be a has-been than a never-was.