[pct-l] My ADZ report

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 12:37:45 CDT 2008

On April 24th - 28th, I attended the Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail
Kick-Off (ADZPTCKO)

The ADZ is for the purpose of ushering off
current year PCT hikers on the trail with good vibes, good information and off
on the right foot (or sometimes left?  ) to start their journey.

At OH-GOD-EARLY in the morning, Love Barge and myself left Colorado to
fly to San Diego. We were picked up at the airport by our fellow CDT
06er/Coloradoan Princess of Darkness. She and Disco drove out to San Diego and
are about to start their PCT journey. This will be Disco's second PCT hike and
POD's Triple
Crown completion hike.

Disco and POD had some last minute items to
take care of in San Diego. LB also wanted to visit a family member in San Diego.
Our arrival to the KO was a bit delayed, but the side trips proved to be
interesting. "Uncle Tommy" is an older New York Italian transplant and reminded
me of people I know back home. The accent, the mannerisms, and his obvious love
in getting to see his great-niece. You could also tell LB was happy to see her
relatives as well.

We finally arrived at the KO. It was awesome to see
people I have not seen in a while. Saw my fellow PCT 2002er and good friend
Yogi. We both worked the registration desk. Of all my ways to volunteer at the
KO, working the registration desk is my favorite. I love to talk and
mingle..working the desk lets me see a lot of people.

At
OH-GOD-EARLY Friday morning, I dropped off POD and Disco for the start of their
PCT hike. LB also joined them for the day.

I went back to the KO, shot
the breeze and worked the registration desk for a bit. Saw many people I knew
for online, previous hiker gatherings and just being on trail. Many people at
this point..and I was glad to see them all!

Went to bed fairly early
Friday night (11-ish) and had a nice Saturday just hanging out.

One of
the funny things about the KO is how long it takes to walk from one length of
the campground to the other. What should be a 5 minute walk would often take me
an hour because of all the people I would bump into!

One of the funniest
parts of the day was Henry Shire's reaction to LB's "vintage" and
well..er..loved tarp tent Henry just stared in disbelief!

The best part of Saturday evening was
seeing Eric Ryback's presentation of his 1970 thru-hike. The amount
of people he inspired is countless. Despite the different gear and trail
experiences one thing showed through Ryback's slideshow: The joy of being out in
the wilderness for months at a time never changes! Ryback reminded me of Scott
Williamson: Low key, humble, happy to share his experiences. It was a great show
from one of the acknowledged pioneers from our little tribe.

I had planned
on a mellow Saturday, but I wandered over to the cabin campfires. I ended up
staying up to 4am and er, indulged quite a bit more than I am used to. My body
also reminded me Sunday morning that I am about to turn 34 and not 24. :O I
think seeing so many friends, both old and new, made it so I did not want the
weekend to end.

If I took anything from this weekend, it does not matter
what year you hiked, what kind of gear you carried, whether you are a section
hiker or a thru-hiker ..we are all united in our love for the trail, the journey
and the experiences. We are all hiker trash.

I love the KO. It has become
my favorite hiker get-to-gether by far. I thank the organizers for another great
event, I was glad to see all my friends, and I wish the PCT class of 2008 a
wonderful journey.

Continued Happy Trails!

Photos at: http://snipurl.com/26cf5

--Thoreau