[pct-l] Contaminated water question

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Apr 28 12:00:30 CDT 2008

I guess the question I'm trying to get answered is what does a
typical water filter filter? I have a Pur Hiker filter. Will it
filter out contaminants from water sources marked as "may be
contaminated" in the Data Book? And does the Data Book, when it says
"contaminated" mainly mean chemical pollution or biological
pollution? So far the only thing I'm hearing is chemical pollution.

Sorry I'm so concerned about water, but I'm a native of chaparral
country and I already understand the importance of water. It's just
where I normally go, the water is never "contaminated" (green maybe,
or yellow, but not polluted as far as I know) and I already know
where all of it is and even some places to look when it isn't there.
I'm just a little worried about the PCT which is unfamiliar territory
for me, and so if I'm left to filter water at Scissors crossing, for
example, will my filter clean it up or should I take a pass?

Diane