[pct-l] Hiker boxes

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Thu Apr 24 21:30:38 CDT 2008

Good evening, Jeff,

Most of the commonly-used Post Offices have hiker boxes, as well as do trail
angel homes, resorts, etc.  The Saufley's must have about 50 bushels of
stuff seeking a second chance on the trail, a photo of which can be seen at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=263797

Hiker boxes are a good place to divest yourself of pieces of gear that you
hitherto felt you couldn't do without.  They are also a good place to
lighten the food sack of items that you have in excess, or of delicacies
that have become tiresome.

Hiker boxes can't be relied upon for location or content.  Resist the
thought that you can hike on-the-cheap by grazing hiker boxes.  IF you find
a box, and IF it happens to contain something you need -- great, but
consider that someone else got rid of that item for good and sufficient
reason.  However, if you ever wanted to try an item, such as one of the
little half-ounce cat-food stoves, without a lot of commitment you are
likely to find some spares in a hiker box somewhere. That, with an empty
plastic pop bottle of alcohol, will put you in business.

Steel-Eye