[pct-l] San Jacinto 4/18

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Wed Apr 23 21:10:21 CDT 2008

Len,

I could not agree more.  I was concerned with earlier postings when some
"first hikers made it along Desert Divide..." with some sort of feeling of
Hurray, must be okay sort of feeling.

I have made that hike when snow covered those flanks.  I did it without axe
or crampons as we made a series of stupid decisions that the worse was
behind us.  It was dumb and very dangerous.  I remember looking down those
snow slopes and knowing that a trip and any acceleration . . .   Bad news.
Eventually it just got to the point when we were in over our heads that we
knew it was further to go back than forward.  So, we went forward.   In the
end though, the fact that we had "made it through" was no indication that it
was not very very stupid.

This is not to say that the trail is not fine now.  I have no knowledge of
the condition now.

PGumby