[pct-l] Will we really do anything?

RJ Lewis karmagurl at bektel.com
Tue Apr 22 10:08:19 CDT 2008

Indeed Diane!!
  Getting used to one's packweight is indeed key here. I haul around a
daypack that I increase the weight of bit by bit until I'm hauling
around the same weight as my regular hiking pack. Seems to work for me.
Around here in North Dakota, folks stare a bit, but eh, who cares? I
patiently explain to them what I'm doing, and they get all interested in
my goal next year! They find it utterly fascinating that I'm going to be
making this longggg trek. We do have the North Trail up here, but it's
still something "new' here so it will take awhile yet before folks are
used to long distance hiking up in this neck of the woods (North Dakota).
   I spent 2 years in the high, deep deserts of Arizona and Nevada, and
learned alot, both on my own, and from others who had spent lifetimes
there. I paid attention and listened to their words of wisdom. The
desert isn't a scary place but it is a place where one cannot afford to
make mistakes, especially where ones water supply is concerned.  One
must respect ALL areas of the trail, as Mother Nature always wins. The
only thing I can recall that really bothered me in the desert was the
absolutely incredible glare, compared to the greener areas of other
areas. Snow doesn't bother me in the least, coming from the northern
plains states. I respect it, but I don't fear it.
  Traveling as we do for work so often, I've had the opportunity to see
much of the US, and I've managed to find beauty in every area I've seen,
yes, including the deep deserts. Everything has a spectacular beauty of
its own, you just have to learn to find it.  Open your minds and hearts-
our world is a spectacular place, and so is our place within it.

Peace!
RJ